May 13, 2012

MAY 13, 2012
BOOK REVIEW: SHAPE-SHIFTERS AND SUCCUBAE 

This is the first book I have read by this author and I’m very impressed.



The story is set in the present tense and seems to be written from the point of view of a spectator at a movie recounting every scene in their own words.  The author has a fascinating way of capturing the verbalizations and colloquialisms of young adults.  Normally not one for profane language, I found the profanities to be strategically placed and oftentimes humorous.  The dialogue resembles a screenplay and it seems like it could be handed to a set of characters to memorize their lines. 
The portrayal of a mid-sized city feels authentic and the perfect backdrop for all the wild things that happen.  Some of the scenes are so descriptive and extremely gory if you have a weak stomach this may not be for you.  The character development and their inherent interactions is well written. 
The author uses different fonts to portray the dialogues between man and demon.  The cemetery scene feels real as does the appearance and disappearance of the demon and succubus.  There is a fox, which flits in and out of the scenes and it’s significance left me wondering throughout.  The cast of characters is quite large, about twenty in all, but he managed to keep them all clear for me to follow; truly an amazing feat. 
There are some explicit scenes but they’re written in such a way most would find them inoffensive.  The writer describes lesbian relationships well and the characters seem to blend with the rest of the cast; all but one. 
The beginning chapters seem almost Pulp-like and the author did a fine job of helping me visualize how everything will overlap. The book has plenty of ups and downs but I was completely engaged.  The author did a good job of capturing my interest and made me want to read on to see what happens next.  The author introduces random occurrences, which left me wondering throughout my read if I would find out what they meant; he must have future plans for them.
My suggestion, keep the lights on for this one.

Rebecca Scarberry with World Literary CafĂ© says - "I give this one 5 stars 
A great debut I can’t wait to see what happens next!"

No comments: